Monday, December 6, 2010

It all starts with just 1 step

No matter what you do, everything begins with 1 simple step.

Baking a cake?  The first step is deciding what kind.  After you decide between Chocolate, Vanilla, Marble, Carrot, Pumpkin, Angel Food, Black Forest, Bundt, Devil's Food, Lemon, or god forbid Cheese Cake, (which opens up a whole lot  more options) you then pretty much know how it's going to go from there on out.  If you take the easy road, you'll get a box mix.  It'll go smooth.  You really only need to add the eggs, water and maybe a little oil.  Stir a bit.  Grease the pan.  Pour. Throw it in the oven and bon appetit - you have yourself a cake.  If you're an idiot, you'll decide you want a homemade from scratch, taste like a Rachel Ray, decorated like a Martha Stewart cake.  You'll break a nail, get flour in your hair, become utterly confused when reading a "simple" recipe, and even  burn a finger or two.  But the moment you sit down and take a bite of that cake, no matter how awful it turns out - it'll be the best thing you've ever tasted in your whole life.

 I've run my life much like baking a cake from a box.  I've taken the easy roads, made lots of short cuts, done the predictable thing.  And no matter how much I've tried tasting life.  I mean really sinking my teeth into it life - I've been left with an empty cardboard-like taste in my mouth.  I've tried filling that empty taste with lots of different things - and all it seems to get me is thirsty and 25 pounds heavier.

So I decided to do things a little different this time around.  I came to the realization that if I happen to not wake up tomorrow morning -(note to self to go to sleep in nice underwear)- I'm going to make sure I at least go to sleep knowing and feeling that I did what I needed to do to make me the Rachel Ray tasting, Martha Stewart decorated me.  No more short cuts.  No more settling for the easy road.  No more excuses.

Today is the last day I know for absolute sure I  have.  So for today...I am Running For My Life.   literally

No comments:

Post a Comment